Thefts From Automobiles in Goleta
Reminder to Lock Your Card Doors Following Rash of Thefts From Unlocked Automobiles in Goleta
Goleta- March 15th, 2016
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is urging residents to be vigilant about locking their car doors. The City of Goleta has experienced a rash of thefts from automobiles the past several weeks. Thieves are targeting unlocked vehicles in the middle of the night in residential areas.
Last night, March 15, there were more than 15 thefts from autos in the Fairview Avenue area north of Cathedral Oaks. On March 2, there were six in the Langlo Ranch area and on March 9, there were 15 reported thefts from autos in the Winchester Canyon area.
The thieves are looking for crimes of opportunity and an unlocked vehicle is an easy target. Just the simple act of locking your car is enough of a deterrent to cause some thieves to move on and to prevent the crime from occurring.
The Sheriff’s Office wants to take this opportunity to remind residents to:
- Lock your car always.
- Close your windows.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight. Lock all valuables in the trunk or take them with you.
- Remove personal information such as a driver’s license from unattended vehicles.
- Always take your keys with you after you park your vehicle.
- Do not use spare keys hidden on or in your vehicle. Consider a spare key in your wallet instead.
- Park and lock your vehicle in your garage whenever possible.
- Remove or hide your garage remote when you leave your vehicle unattended.
- If you have a car alarm, set it every time you park your vehicle.
To report suspicious subjects or vehicles, call 911. If you have any information on any of the recent theft from auto cases, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 805-683-2724 or to leave an anonymous tip call 805-681-4171.
For Media Inquires Contact PIO Kelly Hoover
Business Hours: (805) 681-4100